The Indian Muslims Podcast is a platform for constructive discussion on issues important to the Indian Muslims. We will explore relevant topics across politics, society, arts, culture and more. We will talk with sensitivity and without sensationalization. We will amplify voices that need to be heard in a thoughtful way without the cacophony of thirty-second sound bites.
My name is Mohib and together with my co-host, Faisal, we appreciate you giving this podcast a chance. I am a digital marketer and photographer. Faisal is a technology professional. Many years back, Faisal and I, along with many others were involved with the Indian Muslims Blog, an award-winning opinion website. Now, we are dipping our toes into a completely different medium.
This podcast will showcase well-known and not so well-known voices within India’s Muslim community and some from outside. At times, we will look back for historical context to better understand contemporary issues. Other times, we will bring forward fresh ideas through our conversations. We will introspect and sometimes will be critical. As we embark on this journey to learn, we hope to inform and educate along the way. We will talk about best practices to tackle difficult issues that can be scaled up. We will highlight individuals and organizations that are doing exemplary work and how their experience can be used by others.
In this first episode, we spend a few minutes to understand the current situation of Indian Muslims. We will explore demographic data, political participation, educational attainment, economic well-being as well as stereotypes associated with the community.
Let’s get started.
Data Sources Used in this episode
- Muslim population in India in 2011, by state and union territory – https://www.statista.com/statistics/616679/muslim-population-by-state-and-union-territory-india/
- Countries in the world by population (2020) – https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/population-by-country/
- The population of Muslims by Country – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_by_country#Countries
- Muslims in Rajya Sabha by Hilal Ahmed – https://rajyasabha.nic.in/rsnew/fellowship/Hilal_Ahmed.pdf
- Polygamy in India – https://www.counterview.net/2016/09/polygamy-in-india-down-in-45-yrs.html
- Polygamous Marriages in India – https://paa2010.princeton.edu/papers/100754
- Muslim women and the surprising facts about polygamy in India – https://scroll.in/article/669083/muslim-women-and-the-surprising-facts-about-polygamy-in-india
Vegetarianism and Non-Vegetarianism
- What India Really Eats – https://thewire.in/food/india-food-eating-vegetarianism
- Vegetarianism is not growing in India – https://www.livemint.com/Politics/dWUqT4epdPTHNAYuKYVThK/No-vegetarianism-is-not-growing-in-India.html
- Most Indian Non-Vegetarian – https://www.indiaspend.com/most-indians-non-vegetarian-men-more-than-women-south-east-most-66469/