The attacks are a direct result of radicalisation of Islam and hatred for anyone who does not share your belief. Unlike the earlier blasts, Indian Muslims have not been blamed for the recent Mumbai attacks. The attacks were too complicated to blame us. Does that guarantee that the recent attacks will not have any repercussions for the Muslim community? The terrorists must have definitely had some form of local support to get such precise details about their target. They could have got it either through criminal gangs, corrupt people in India or through radicals in our own community.Ã‚Â A muslim in India, has the same responsibility to protect his country as any other citizen. Not burying the terrorists is not good enough. Here is a list of things they should have done or at least should do from now on.
1. As attacks took place one after another in various cities, Muslim leaders and imams should spend enough time to calm the hatred and distrust between the two communities. It is not enough to give fatwas that suicide is haraam in Islam. We should educate muslims, that hindus are our neighbours and that in spite of certain events we should not carry hatred for another Indian. We have more to lose than gain due to such animosity. Even at a family level, we should spend time to educate those radicals who have hatred for non-muslims. “They are kafrs, they will go to hell anyways”, is not what you teach your kids. After all it is Allah who decides our fate.
2. We should have engaged other communities in constant dialogue to reduce the hatred. Mosques in India hardly contribute to the other communities except for the occasional iftar parties (which focusses on corrupt politicians). Mosques should guide young muslims to contribute towards secular orphanages and public bodies in their neighbourhood. Mosques in America contribute a lot towards the society. This is also partially because muslims there are not as backward. Disputes like Babri masjid need to resolved. One innocent life is more important than any piece of land.
3. It is high time, we took pride in our country. How many Indian muslims died fighting terrorists in Mumbai? One reason for this is that there aren’t that many muslims anyways in police, NSG and the navy. We should have been there to take the shots. We should urge more muslims to join the public sector especially police and defense.
4. Root out the terrorists amongst us. Indian Muslims are the worst affected due to any of these events. If there are retards who cause harm or intend to cause harm, we need to fight them for the sake of our own survival. We should report suspicious activities and get more involved as true citizens.
5. We should not have voted to those partys that fulfill the petty needs of our muslim leaders. We have to make individual choices and vote for that party which is willing to work towards our development.
Some Indian Muslims still do not understand the gravity of the issue. They continue to point fingers or adopt conspiracy theories. Their logic shocks me while tears roll down my eyes.
Photo: Mumbai Morning